Friday, April 13, 2018

What is Falcon Pride?

I am writing this post after three days of coordinating and proctoring state assessments in ELA.  It has been a long week for the students, staff, and administration.  But, this long week has proven  something that I already knew...We work in such a remarkable place with amazing students and a wonderful staff!  It seems like the theme of my blog keeps coming back to culture...But, the bottom line:  Culture is a huge part of what leaders do.  Culture is the foundation at the heart of an organization--in my case, an incredible middle school. 

What did I learn this week?  All year, we have been talking about grit.  How do you persevere through adversity?  How do you dig deep to see what you are really made of?  How can you pick yourself up when it would be easier, and maybe safer, to stay down?  What makes us tick?  This week, I have witnessed a LOT of grit--from our students and staff.  There is nothing easy or fun about hours of testing.  But, our students and staff have a LOT of Falcon Pride. 

So, what is Falcon Pride?  To me, Falcon Pride is coming together as a CommUNITY; it is having each other's backs; it is caring for each other; it is teamwork; it is representing Cedar Crest Middle School in a way that reflects positively; it is showing kindness and compassion; it is working toward a common goal; it is selfless toward the betterment of others; it is the essence of being a Cedar Crest Falcon.

We have spent this year branding our school.  Every day, teachers are using social media--our biggest platforms being Twitter and Instagram--to tell our stories, brand our school and offer examples of Falcon Pride!  We have school and team hashtags, lists and groups to follow...Our staff has been phenomenal in their efforts to brand our school!  The parent engagement, the student engagement, the growing PLNs--all incredible!  Better than I could have imagined in my wildest dreams!  I am so proud of our staff for telling our stories and involving our families and CommUNITY in what makes Cedar Crest so special! 

As we close out this week, I am thoughtful about how proud I am of our students and staff.  I am proud of their grit, effort, preparation, and persistence.  I am grateful to be part of a wonderful school where we care for each other and look out for one another.  I am grateful to be a Cedar Crest Falcon. 

Featured Post

FalconsCARE CommUNITY Day

In our business of school, there are teachable moments all around us.  It is not unique to our school or any specific day.  Today, though, w...