Thursday, December 27, 2018

The Power of Telling Your School's Story

During this time of year, I appreciate the opportunity to pause and reflect...Looking back, here are a few things that I should have known...

Our school tweeted almost 300 times last week!  Occasionally, I have commented that I love when our school tweets faster than I can keep up.  But it is happening more and more often--and I tweet A LOT!  I should have known that if I asked our staff to tell our story, they would knock it out of the park on social media!

I love that my collections on Wakelet are getting so large that I almost have to divide our weeks into smaller increments to showcase our students, social media posts, and exciting things that happened #ThisWeekAtCCMS!  I should have known that we would have a lot to say about our amazing students and staff! 

But wait, there's more...In a 22-hour period last week, my Instagram page had 262 likes from our students, staff, and parents...How phenomenal is that?!  I should have known that if we found our students and parents on social media, they would appreciate the opportunity to help us tell our story and share what is happening at our school...

This is AMAZING!  I LOVE that we have found places for our students, staff, and #CommUNITY to see the awesome things that are happening in our school!  I should have known that we could find a way to share a common language, engage our #CommUNITY, and work together to tell our story!   

What does this mean?

For me personally, social media was a risk...Three years ago, I was NOT anywhere near social media.  It was big, scary, and unknown...When you see statistics about principals reporting that their number one challenge in 2018 was social media issues, it makes it seem bigger, scarier, and riskier!

But, for me, our success on social media means something different...It speaks to the place we work and the culture that we have created at #CCMS...It speaks to the students, families, and teachers that we serve...It speaks to the #CommUNITY we have established...

As I see it, it means that our staff has wholeheartedly taken up the call to action of telling our story!  We have spent 16 months talking about the importance of our story and the value of getting our message out to our #CommUNITY.  It is incredible to me that we have about 70 active Twitter accounts sharing the fabulous learning--both academic and social/emotional learning--that is happening in our school.  I should have known they would impress me with their enthusiasm and #FalconPride! 

It also means that our school, our staff, and our students are sharing amazing experiences with each other and people all over the world!  They have the opportunity to collaborate, personalize their learning, and grow.  Our staff is learning from other educators across the globe and sharing ideas and experiences...How cool is that?!  Imagine the possibilities of learning with others who don't attend our school, live in the same state, or even in the same country...Imagine what we could share and how we could learn from each other...

And in the grand scheme of things, it means that our teachers and staff are acting as awesome role models for our students.  They are posting positive messages, engaging our families in our school, and finding ways to inspire our students!  They are teaching our students how to use social media appropriately and for all the right reasons.  They are showing our them how to take risks, try new things, and learn from each other!  They are teaching them how to participate in a #CommUNITY and be proud of all those things we accomplish together.  I should have known that together, we could create an even more special school culture where we celebrate successes and good tries, take risks, and showcase our tremendous students and #CommUNITY...

You see...I have always known that I work in a special place...I have always known that our students and staff are amazing...I have always known that they will rise to any occasion...I have always known that they take care of each other as a family...I have always known that I was the luckiest principal out there...I should have known that our staff and students could handle this challenge with poise, grace, and positivity...Bravo, #CCMS...I am so proud of you!  

Follow us on social media:

https://twitter.com/MrsRackleyCCMS
https://wakelet.com/@MrsRackleyCCMS   
https://www.instagram.com/mrsrackleyccms
 

Featured Post

FalconsCARE CommUNITY Day

In our business of school, there are teachable moments all around us.  It is not unique to our school or any specific day.  Today, though, w...